4 February 1942
Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Mk V (P5050 - code YG-M)
In the sea, off Ushant Island
(contributors : Daniel Dahiot, Frédéric Hénoff)
Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Mk V - Abingdon (Oxfordshire) (?)
© With courtasy of RAF Abingdon 10 OTU - www.rafabingdon10otu.co.uk
Crew (502 Squadron RAF)
all crew members were captured
- Squadron Leader N.S.F. DAVIES, R.A.F.
- Sergeant BERT CLARK GILLESPIE, R.A.A.F.
- Sergeant M.F. SIKAL, R.C.A.F.
- Sergeant T.R CALDER, R.A.F.
- Sergeant G.S. HARRIS, R.A.F.
- Sergeant J.F. BARNES, R.A.F.
We just know that the Whitley was reported missing after a patrol over Ushant. He was shot down at 9:55 am by a Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-7 of I./JG 2 flown by Fw. Heinz-Helmut BAUDACH, who made a belly landing back in Brest Guipavas (see link to Me Bf 109 E-7 WNr 6496).